Thursday, September 3, 2009

Say Anything meets Twilight

This song is about eight years old, but I've just fallen in love with it recently. It reminds me in some ways of the "musical portion" of Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and obviously very similar (but pre-dating) to the ideas presented in the absurdly popular Twilight series (and True Blood to a lesser extent). I've always been enamored by the slightly twisted take on romance and relationships that Say Anything brings to the table and this is just another beautiful example of that strange negotiation between love, fear and violence.

"Translyvanian"

Bent over the grand piano, I feel my eyes slide over you
Legs that curve the same as hers, could run as quickly too
My lazy tongue lies low and ready, it cannot seem to speak its words
I'd axe it off to shut me up, but you've already heard;
The murders have occurred

So take me where they cannot see us and lay me down on coffin rich dirt
Tonight I am a Translyvanian, a taste of you won't hurt
'Cause I am numb to every feeling, stubborn ears will hear no sound
My last few rounds have left me reeling, my teeth are on the ground
I've taken pound for pound

The path into this heart is littered with corpses and strewn with body parts
Of those who came before, so just give up
The path into this heart is littered with corpses and strewn with body parts
Of stronger souls than you, stronger souls than you
So child don't go getting your hopes up


No comments: