Monday, January 12, 2009

SPEAK

For my Young Adult Lit (TPTE 595) class, I have been reading Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak, of which I knew nothing before I started to read it. First off, I have to say that the novel is phenomenal and I'm nothing short of amazed at how good Anderson's ear for teenage-speak is. Much of the time I was reading Twilight, I was constantly thinking how stupid some of the dialogue was (but don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy those books). It just never sounded like real teenagers to me. Instead, Stephanie Meyer's characters were an exaggeration of typical teenager talk. The character's in Speak are vibrant, moody and more realistic than any other replication of adolescence I've ever come across. Moving past that, Anderson captures the essence of growing up and the often very difficult process that it is. At times I found myself laughing at the absurdity of it all before wincing as the protagonist Melinda revealed her story, which is heartbreakingly similar to stories I've heard from too many female friends. Although it is put into the YA box, I cannot recommend Speak enough. This novel reminds me exactly why I want to teach High School, and especially Literature. There's so much going on outside the classroom for these young people and sometimes it can be easy for older people to forget what adolescence was like. Through literature, I'm so incredibly excited to interact with my students and make connections that will help them interpret all the massive information coming into their heads and use it to ultimately better their lives. Sure, I'm still a very young teacher and incredibly idealistic, but I can't wait to be a part of my student's lives.

No comments: