Friday, February 6, 2009

[Her] name is Aramis

As per my checklist from the last post, I took full advantage of my day off and went to Slumdog Millionaire. I'm not even going to try to fully explicate on what I'm feeling right now, but I can completely relate with the comment Rachael left on the last post about it being emotionally straining. There were several times throughout the film where I felt as though I'd just been punched in the gut, but I think the emotional payoff is more than rewarding. I'm pretty much in awe of the story, but even more so in the way it was told. I'd really love to get a copy of the script, just to see how certain things were written.

I'm not going to ruin the plot here, because honestly I hope if you haven't seen it you'll soon find the oppurtunity. If you care enough to read my blog (or Notes if you're reading this on Facebook), then you're probably the type of person this film will really speak to. The relationship between Jamal and Latika is agonizing, yet so profoundly wonderful. I think its that part of the movie that really gripped me (and probably most people), but even more so as I relate it to my own recent and amazing/heartbreaking experiences (for those in the know). I saw the beauty of their own world, removed from everyone else; something that I fully relate to. And that is not even going into the film's discussion of what it means to be family and specifically brothers. Jamal's brother, Salim really drives the story, much in the way Darth Vader was really the main character in the Star Wars movies, as proven by the entire prequel trilogy focusing on Anakin Skywalker, who I happen to completely understand, especially his fall. You rooted for Luke, but everything hinged on what Vader was doing. Salim is complicated; terrible and wonderful at once. Please see this film. Then get coffee with me and talk it over. :)

Also, I've been listening to (and thinking a lot about) Two Tongues and trying to figure out what I wanted to say about it. I've decided on casting my unofficial vote for "Crawl" as the best album opener ever, at least in the way it sets the stage for everything that follows. Too many times, records are a disjointed mess of songs that have no coherence, just radio hits. Two Tongues mostly abandons the "sing about the girl" concept present in most emo-punk-rock-whatever and focuses instead on a passionate friendship between two males (Max Bemis and Chris Conley) who idolize each other's music. The female drama is in there, but only as a cue for the guys to break down and relate to each other. "Crawl" begins with the very simple, but probably my favorite opening lyrics ever: "Wait, don't go with him." I'm reminded of the older Taking Back Sunday records in the dueling vocals of Max and Chris throughout the album. Just knowing the very public battle Max Bemis has had with bipolar disorder lends the often distraught lyrics a real sense of credibility.

A particular moment I want to share from the record is the back and forth sort of singing conversation between Max and Chris in "If I Could Make You Do Things." The words are simple, but I don't know, it just really means something to me. I love this record.

Max: Put down that needle now
Chris: I wanna live life underground
Max: I'm here to pull you out, please don't turn away
Chris: I don't have much to say
Max: Say it anyway

Okay, bye.

No comments: