Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.

Today, well tonight, after class, I went straight to the bookstore to pick up Gregory Maguire's third book in The Wicked Years (Wicked, Son of a Witch); A Lion Among Men. I've only read about thirty pages so far, but it has been an amazing thirty pages. His books motivate me to tell stories, but at the same time make writing feel so very out of my league. Maguire's ability to take a children's story and create a massive world teeming with political turmoil is just mind-boggling. Unless George R.R. Martin's A Dance of Dragons magically releases this year, this will be the best book I will read all year.

I've known for some time that I'd be getting a MacBook at the end of the semester, but today it got even better. Apple introduced the brand new MacBook today and it is completely amazing. Better than the current model in every way, it's also aesthetically improved. The darn thing is gorgeous. Besides the fact that it will give me access to better programs to use as teaching tools, I can't wait to play WoW on a system that can actually handle the game.

Speaking of WoW, today is also the big pre-WotLK patch, which means massive failure. The servers have been up and down all day, so I have been unable to try out all the cool new features. As excited as I am about going full Protection (and still being able to do damage!), I'm mostly wanting to be able to log in and check out the Barbershop feature. Gnome with a Mohawk? That's a resounding yes. Alas, it'll have to wait until tomorrow. BRC.

No comments: